The BPSA Range will re-open on Wed., May 27/20, at 1:00 PM on a limited basis. Unfortunately Guests and Probationary shooters may not attend at this time. We look forward to their return when the COVID-19 risk is further reduced or eliminated. Our re-opening is with the consent of the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO).
The range will be restricted to the use of only three (3) of our seven (7) shooting ports in order to maintain the six (6) foot or two (2) metre social distancing imposed by the provincial government. Members that are waiting to shoot are restricted to a maximum of groups of five (5) and must also respect and adhere to the six foot distancing and only one group of waiting shooters will be permitted inside the clubhouse at any given time. Hand washing and club sanitizing rules have been imposed and will be strictly enforced.
OFAH reacts to passing of Bill C-42
On June 18, Bill C-42, the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act, received Royal Assent, officially enacting legislation that amends the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code in Canada.
Effective immediately, the following legislative amendments come into force:
· Classroom participation in firearms safety training will be mandatory for FIRST TIME applicants;
· Discretionary authority of Chief Firearms Officers (CFOs) will be subject to the regulations;
· Strengthen the Criminal Code provisions relating to orders prohibiting the possession of firearms where a person is convicted of an offence involving domestic violence;
· Provide the Governor in Council with the authority to prescribe firearms to be non-restricted or restricted – based on independent expert advice.
Other legislative amendments will be put into place on a date fixed by Order in Council:
• The elimination of a Possession Only License (POL). All existing POLs will be converted to Possession and Acquisition Licenses (PAL);
• The creation of a six month grace period at the end of the five-year license period to stop people from immediately becoming criminalized for paperwork delays involving license renewals;
• Authorizations to Transport will become a condition of a license to end the needless paperwork currently required;
• Sharing of firearms import information when restricted and prohibited firearms are imported into Canada through business.
Our Handgun club is an active club with approx 70 members. The .22 shooting is usually on Mon & Wed evenings, with big bore firearms on Wed afternoon. We trained several range officers to make sure our members shoot and handle firearms safely, and are available when needed. We have a strict set of rules and safety practices. Our members can shoot anytime, providing that a range officer is present. No full metal jacketed ammo allowed for center fire and would prefer wad cutters for big bore. Members can bring guests, but a safety officer must run them through a short course before they can shoot. We welcome everyone as long as the rules are followed.We love to share our sport with all people of all ages and walks of life.
We have a competition team that belong to the Western Ont Handgun league and we travel to shoot against other clubs near us. Our competition shooting starts in Oct runs to March. Our shooters have categories of AA,A,B,C,D,E, that they have to qualify for. Improvement sends that shooter to the next highest level for the following year. BPSA has won the league several times over the years.
Our members have the training of firearms safety events for Police Foundation students at Georgian College. We taught them safety and handling of firearms, then we let them shoot our firearms in the range. We teach youth the same thing and they shoot .22 rifles. They have a friendly competition at the end of each shoot for top shooters. Mom usually brings the kids to the range, so we put on a women’s shoot for the moms.
Come on out and learn the sport in a safe and controlled environment, it is a blast. Anyone interested contact president Al at email@example.com.
If you are looking for Firearms Licensing contact Frank Hutter (Certified FSESO & MNRF Instructor/Examiner) at 519-534-1860